Are your patients getting enough magnesium?
Use This Handout to Start the Conversation with Your Patients
There is a 50-50 chance your patients are not getting enough magnesium on a regular basis.
In the United States, half of the population does not get enough magnesium for good health.
|Recommended Daily Allowance||Average Actual Intake1||Average Mg Gap|
|400-420 mg (males 19-51+)||350 mg||50-70 mg|
|310-320 mg (females 19-51)||260 mg||50-60 mg|
Recommended daily allowance levels increase for females during pregnancy.
Magnesium matters – an essential nutrient.
Magnesium is an important piece of the puzzle for a variety of enzymatic reactions in the body. These reactions provide a foundation for health. Magnesium is also vital for making proteins, producing energy, and building important bodily components like DNA and RNA.2,3
Magnesium deficiency is associated with many health issues, like:
- Unhealthy stress response
- Cardiovascular health
- Management of blood sugar levels
- Mood4 (feeling down and anxious)
Magnesium sufficiency is associated with many health benefits, like:
- Reduced stress and better mood5,6
- Increased fat-free mass8
- Improved bone health
- Balance and stabilize systems health
- Moshfegh A, Goldman J, Ahuja J, Rhodes D, LaComb R. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2005-2006: Usual Nutrient Intakes from Food and Water Compared to 1997 Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D, Calcium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium. 2009.
- Rosique-Esteban N, Guasch-Ferre M, Hernandez-Alonso P, Salas-Salvado J. Dietary Magnesium and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review with Emphasis in Epidemiological Studies. Nutrients. Feb 1 2018;10(2).
- Elin RJ. Assessment of magnesium status for diagnosis and therapy. Magnes Res. Dec 2010;23(4):S194-198.
- Volpe SL. Magnesium in disease prevention and overall health. Adv Nutr. May 1 2013;4(3):378S-383S.
- Szkup M, Jurczak A, Brodowska A, et al. Analysis of Relations Between the Level of Mg, Zn, Ca, Cu, and Fe and Depressiveness in Postmenopausal Women. Biol Trace Elem Res. Mar 2017;176(1):56-63.
- Rajizadeh A, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Yassini-Ardakani M, Dehghani A. Effect of magnesium supplementation on depression status in depressed patients with magnesium deficiency: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition. Mar 2017;35:56-60.
- Hayhoe RPG, Lentjes MAH, Mulligan AA, Luben RN, Khaw KT, Welch AA. Cross-sectional associations of dietary and circulating magnesium with skeletal muscle mass in the EPIC-Norfolk cohort. Clin Nutr. Jan 30 2018.
- Guo W, Nazim H, Liang Z, al. E. Magnesium deficiency in plants: an urgent problem. Crop J. 2016;4:83-91.
We believe in bringing Plants to Practice through time-tested protocols, innovative educational programs, and by old-school relationship building.
We are the authorized Standard Process and MediHerb support team for Illinois. Click Here to find your local field rep by zip code or city.